Sunday, June 28, 2009

Holy Halfway Mark, Batman!

Ummm...apparently, week 19 means that we're half way to the finish line. Excuse me for a moment while that sinks in. Half. Way. There. Ohmygawd!

I guess on some level I knew that but I've been so busy focusing on work and how to hide the burgeoning belly that I didn't have the time to actually think about it, you know?

In 19 more weeks (or so) I'll no longer just be me: wife, sister, daughter and friend.
I'll be me: wife, sister, daughter, friend AND sleep deprived, shell-shocked mother trying to remember lessons learned a billion years ago in baby-sitting school so my child doesn't end up with her diaper drooping around her ankles or her onsie on backwards (horrors!).

Inevitably, this kind of landmark makes me wonder "Am I ready for this? Am I ready to be responsible for a little person who can't even wipe their own nose, let alone tell me what the hell it is that they want or need? Is Scott ready for this?"

I guess in the end we're probably as ready as anyone ever is...which is to say, not at all.

Realizing how soon we're going to be parents also got me thinking about all those people out there, especially the so called "supermoms", who go into this parenthood thing thinking they've got a handle on everything. They've read all the books, they've obsessively surfed the internet, and they've watched endless TLC shows about childbirth and parenting so they think they know E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. and they just can't wait to tell you all about it. Gah!

I think it is pretty safe to say that because every person is different and every child is different, there is no way anyone can go into this their 1st time or their 14th and be anything but some degree of clueless and somehow, that makes me feel better.

So here is what Baby Center had to say about week 19 and this week's 3d pic and update are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment