Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Clash of the Titans 2010

Before you get too excited, this post isn't about the new movie (scheduled to hit theatres in April for anyone who is interested in watching another movie starring that dude from Avatar). No, this is about the battle of wills currently underway here in Vancouver's east end.

My daughter may have her father's chin but she definitely inherited her mother's stubbornness because when she decides that it is NOT nap time she has absolutely no problem letting you know. At the top of her lungs. For a very long time. A very, very long time.

Of course, during those rare times when she takes a break from screaming out her frustration, she rubs her eyes and yawns almost continuously but apparently that's beside the point: Princess Brynn has decreed that this isn't nap time and no silly need to actually sleep is going to change her mind.

I listen to her rant and rail and I try my best not to feel like a complete shmuck for "forcing" my child to go down for the nap she quite obviously needs. There is nothing worse than listening to her cry, except for listening to that little snuffling, hiccuping noise she makes after she is finished crying. Each little sniffley snuffle says, "I can't believe you did this to me mommy." Ouch.

Somehow, each time I manage to hold on and she eventually goes to sleep, leaving me feeling like I've been to hell and back while she blissfully snores away.

Who's winning this war? Beats me but at least one of us is sleeping well in spite of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment